Saturday, March 26, 2011

Breaking out of the mold


Last winter I reluctantly decided to go out with a friend for a cross country ski. I had skied before when I was in school in the Prairies but I was really intimidated to tackle some real hills. I had never been downhill skiing either so I really didn't think it was something I would enjoy.

Well, I went out for that first ski and I was instantly hooked. I fell in love with the scenery surrounding me, the feeling of being active in the crisp winter air and the way my legs burned in places I wasn't aware muscles existed! I would have gone every day if I could. After a few weeks on the classic skis I decided to try out freestyle (skate) skiing and was even more addicted. The feeling of swaying side to side through the quiet trails became almost therapeutic. Now I couldn't imagine my life without skiing and I can't believe I went so many years without it because of my stubborn hesitation. Why are we so hesitant to break out of our mold and try new things?  Is there anything you have always wanted to do but have always been intimidated to try? Don't waste your time thinking about it, do it.
It is never too late to give yourself a new challenge.
I hate to think of what I would have missed out on had I not made that first bold step.


No comments:

Post a Comment