Thursday, December 23, 2010

The True Spirit of Christmas

Sure, it will be great to see my kids faces light up with excitement as they tear open presents at Christmas this year but nothing is quite like giving to those who are really in need. I was finding it really hard to get into the spirit of Christmas this year. I watched people swarming about, frantically hitting the malls to buy mounds of presents for children who already have everything they need. Christmas felt forced to me and like it had very little meaning.

I came to work one day to find a message requesting staff contribute to a local family in need. There was a brief explanation about the family and the reasons why they were less fortunate. Suddenly everything came into perspective. My heart was bleeding when I read about the single father who was sick and struggling to make ends meet for his two teenage children. I took great pleasure in carefully selecting an order of clothing from Old Navy for the thirteen year old girl. It felt so good to be able to do something for her, knowing what hardships she faced every day. I wanted something just for her, to put a smile on her face this Christmas. The gifts are being delivered tonight and I wish I could see their faces as they open the hamper we put together for them. This is really what Christmas is all about. Realizing and appreciating what you have and finding it in your heart to always think of others. My Christmas now has a meaning I had never quite discovered before.

Merry Christmas to you all. May health, love and happiness be yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment